How is it already the last day of summer in Chicago? Hang on to summer with my shaved asparagus manchego salad, before we all have to embrace the polar vortex again.
This has all the components of a perfect salad – crisp, fresh and all the flavors blending well together dressed with my favorite homemade Italian vinaigrette. Easy to create and perfect for the work week with it’s quick prep time, what are you waiting for?
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
16 Fresh Asparagus Spears (about 1 pound)
1 ounce Manchego Cheese (or any cheese of your preference)
Sweet Italian Dressing Ingredients
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup olive oil
3 teaspoons honey
3 cloves of garlic (smashed and chopped)
2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- To prepare the dressing: place the vinegar, honey, Italian seasoning, garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper into your blender. While blending, slowly drizzle the olive oil into the blender until the dressing is thoroughly mixed.
- Using a sharp peeler, thinly peel the asparagus to equal 2 cups of asparagus ribbons.
- Place the shaved asparagus in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing and mix together until the salad is well coated. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Set aside and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Top it with the grated cheese with a pinch of salt and pepper. Taste, and add additional seasonings, if needed.
*Remember to shave the asparagus, no slicing. The key to avoiding the bitter taste is to slice them as thinly as possible.